CaramelD

If you used to read this ancient blog back in the day, you would see that I have an obsession for Agatha Christie and a lot of old world crime books.

A lot of the time, the killer would be caught or a major plot change would happen that would give you a clue all because of...LOVE LETTERS!

How I could scoff and turn my nose up at the women. What is wrong with these women I would wonder? Why are you keeping your old love letters tied up in a bundle in the bottom of some secret hideaway? Don't you know you are being a wet sop?

I honestly never understood why people would hold on to old history like that.

Until now.

Now I am the stupid woman.

I'm not even sure the 21st century woman owns love letters! Or any letters of any kind (apart from horrid letters from the bank). But I do. For a glorious moment over the course of two years I met the man I call 'The Prototype', and before BBM/Whatspp etc, we wrote to each other via email nearly everyday.

Now he had a way with words, a God given talent and there are some letters he wrote and they would make all my senses marvel.

Now everything has changed, and he will soon officially belong to another. So the question of the day is, do you still keep the letters (emails)?

I let the email account stay dormant for three years but I unearthed it today and when I read the correspondence I felt happy and sad at the same time.

Now does one just delete everything and walk away in a blaze of triumphant practical glory or do you keep the the words that made you feel like the most precious thing on earth at that given time?

Also by keeping it, are you just holding yourself back? Or are you tempted to hold them because you doubt anyone will ever say those type of words about you again?

I'm so confused! My head hurts.

What I am very sure about though, is that I will never again scoff at those fictional heroines and villainesses of old and their bundle of hidden love letters.


6 Responses
  1. olusimeon Says:

    I'll delete all, think they'll hurt each time I go back to them because no matter how awesome the make me feel, it was still an "almost" union. And everybody know.."almost" doesn't count.


  2. I'll delete them all.
    Cuz everytime I read, a part of me will be hung up in the past when the present is supposed to be my reality.
    Hard to do but it's the right thing to do..

    And yes, those heroines indeed had their reasons.one we won't understand till we experience it ourselves,i guess...


  3. I'll delete them all.
    Cuz everytime I read, a part of me will be hung up in the past when the present is supposed to be my reality.
    Hard to do but it's the right thing to do..

    And yes, those heroines indeed had their reasons.one we won't understand till we experience it ourselves,i guess...


  4. TheRustGeek Says:

    I'll add my two cents to the delete camp.. Although as I have found/am finding, it takes a certain amount of steely resolve to finally press delete..

    Doing so has a certain air of finality, which I suspect we all are loathe to give in to...


  5. ManCee Says:

    I remember my first girlfriend...pretty woman, loved talking with her, never held her hand once but we were 'together' for about 2 years from sec schl till university. She wrote me back then before email was a thing, on good old paper and cursive handwriting.

    I kept those letters for like 3 years till my room mates encouraged me to burn them. I did. I still miss the words we shared, not the emotions-i hardly remember the emotions anymore but the words, they were art.

    Many years later, I met a dear lady online and chatting with her via email was bliss itself though she was very far from me. Met her once in one of the best weeks of my life and talking face to face was even better than the email threads that were my solace from the boring and grey of day to day.

    Although, i havent seen her again since then and hardly talk again I still have the mails; I collected them in a folder so they are not always in my face but I know where they are should I need them. I knew since we were not together, the day may come when the emotions may be dulled but the words will be as alive as ever. I still consider her a friend and say a word of prayer for her once in a while. She i can't forget even when i dont remember.

    I have been known to randomly go through that folder and bask in the banter and wit behind the words. I have used some of those phrases in small talks since then, I have weaved stories from them. Those words are Art. I collect art of lesser form, why lose these that are both precious and personal to me?

    At the end of the day, I recognize that time and chance happens to us all as the Holy Book said. That it didn't work out for us is really not either person's fault since we were great to each other. But for time and chance...

    I guess it works for each of us differently, delete if you believe it holds you back but make sure it is YOUR decision.

    ManCee & The multitude hails you!


  6. CaramelD Says:

    @Mancee you went in deep!! LOL! I get what you mean that it is a form of art and history in itself. Well for now I can't get into the damn email account so it is safe for now.