CaramelD
Dress - £130
Hair - £40
Styling (WTF?) - £50
Shoes - £30
F&$king import duty for the dresses from the States - £40

Total so far......£290!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We bought the dresses from America to save money and now with this import rubbish it's the same amount anyway! I have lost weight and will have to get the dress fitted, I don't know how much that will cost. Also because I don't usually wear strapless outfits, I have to buy a strapless bra as well and they don't come cheap! The entire bill could reach £350. I am so angry, I have a headache.

What annoys me as well is that it is colouring my feelings towards the wedding. Someones special day and you are meant to be happy for them and all you can hear at the back of your head is the sound of over a quarter of your monthly paycheck going down the drain. I'm glad I put my foot down and said no to the make up lady (another £30). I will wear white powder and not give a damn!

I dare not talk to the bride or her sister right now because I will start family wahala. I am trying to cool down and it's not working. For the first time in my life, I get why people don't like weddings.

__________________________________

UPDATE
I have been fuming all day and walking around like black thunder trying to see ways of saving money and doing maths in my head ( a sure route to putting me in a graver mood). So I got home and my Mum came in after. Our neighbour called on us and he is sooooooo sick. He looks hagard, has lost three stone, can't keep food down and is frail (a man in his thirties). He is on hi and hello terms with my Mother and came to ask for a lift to the hospital tomorrow as his limbs hurt and he can't make it to the the bus stop without difficulty.

I gave him some food because he lives alone and my Mum agreed to take him tomorrow. Dear God, I thank you for my health, I won't shout over expensive weddings. What is money compared to health and having someone to look after you? I just learnt a very painful lesson this evening.
20 Responses
  1. SHE Says:

    WHAAAT!!!!
    That IS a lot of MONEY!!! over 70,000 Nigerian Naira. I suppose you're doing it for love of the Bride?
    I suggest you look on the bright side (you'll be looking good on that day)and enjoy it...


  2. LusciousRon Says:

    I echo SHE! That is a lot of money. Counting that per person seems overboard. Sorry o!

    I see another side to why I always refuse to be a bridesmaid. Take it easy. Try to think of how great you will look on that day.


  3. Fabulo-la Says:

    WHOA! 350pounds?
    Shikena! Almost 700 frkn dollars!

    I guess u can only tell urself u r doing it for d bride...
    but gademit!


  4. Padosh Says:

    WOW...,with friends liek those, who need enemies lol!!
    Look at it as a sacrifice for a good friend.

    You re a great friend indeed!!!


  5. ~Sirius~ Says:

    You and I both know where I stand on this.

    Lets just say this is a one off, the wedding is almost here, and it'll be over before you know it....just breath.

    "These things do happen"

    Some weddings are planned on expensive Pineapple express.....:-)


  6. CaramelD Says:

    @ SHE, thanks for appealing to my vain side, it might work :)

    @LusciousRon, thank you my sister, don't worry I think I will have one bank breaking wedding per lifetime.

    @Fabulo-la, I started laughing when I read your comment could almost hear you shouting in my mind LOL.

    @ Phoenix, She's my cousin and I love her but her vision for her wedding doesn't fit my pocket. I hope you are enjoying my London town.


  7. CaramelD Says:

    SEXY SIREN SIRUS!

    I think we were typing at the same time! Anywhos I hear you oh, i am breathing. I am already thanking God for next month's paycheck LOL


  8. Nice Anon Says:

    Akuko! Shey na crase ni? WHaaaat! In this recession?


  9. NaijaScorpio Says:

    i know it's not funny but i couldn't help spending. I totally get the resentment. I would be pissed too.


  10. exschoolnerd Says:

    70 gini? 70k ...oloun ma je....as in..ni to ri another pesin's wedding...i feel ur anger,fustration....everything u feel sef...


  11. tunrayo Says:

    WTF?!!!! You better be looking a whole lot lovelier than the bride


  12. Being in a wedding really is expensive, and I hope your costs stop climbing.

    Thanks for updating with the lesson you learned. You're right that material possessions pale when compared to our health.

    Enjoy the rest of your week!


  13. CaramelD Says:

    @ Nice Anon, it gave me a bit of a nightmare last night.

    @Sting, I'm trying to breathe through the pain.

    @XSN, thank you my sister.

    @Tunrayo, I will put up the picture for sure, but no one fit pass the bride oh!

    @GNG, I guess I needed reminding. Thank you and enjoy your week too x


  14. Anonymous Says:

    Perhaps there is a price to pay for being a 'mini-celeb' afterall.... Anyways, I agree its a lot of money.. You should all join my cause - abolishing outlandish colors for bridal trains!


  15. CaramelD Says:

    @DannyB, you have lost me. I'm a bridesmaid not someone wearing aso-ebi or 'uniform'. Are we talking about the same thing?


  16. you can say NO O! if its not convenient its not convenient. I am supposed to be on a bridal, when the bride brought a 45k bill. I told her I was opting out..that I had some major expenses to deal with this month and she said ok….


  17. I can't believe it! £350 for somebody else's wedding! That's not right, I think that bride is being majorly unfair to you all.

    But like you said, you have health, family and friends, so don't let money cloud your happiness!


  18. incoherent Says:

    this was in honor of you

    >http://rantingsofaneducatedafricanwoman.blogspot.com/2009/07/wedding-blues.html<


  19. Vera Ezimora Says:

    Babe, I have "bridesmaided" two times (once the maid of honor), and it is NOT funny!!!!!!!!!

    Sure, you get to ride in a limo and you get to have your pic taken by a professional photographer, but that's it!

    You'll be tired

    Feet will probably hurt.

    Hair will probably be ruined after that day.

    ..... @ least, you didn't have to buy lace & scarf for asoebi.

    ....Ehm... what the heck is "styling?"


  20. Afrobabe Says:

    Dammm I feel ur pain towards that money mehn...but hey, you've already committed and spent...so enjoy!!!